Ok, everyone: here’s the final prompt for this quarter’s response papers.
When approaching the third paper (i.e., 3, 6, and 9) in each paper set, please give the following a try:
- Write a letter to me (one page, single-spaced, twelve-point TNR font). That means you should follow the generic conventions of a letter. (However, you don’t need to include addresses.)
- The tone of your letter should be more formal than a letter to your peer but less formal than, say, an academic essay.
- In the letter, you should:
- (1) answer our most recent question (usually written on the board during class on Thursdays),
- (2) tell me one specific thing you are learning in the course, what questions you have about the films and class discussions, and what you still want to learn,
- (3) when responding to #2 above, refer to (or even quote) writing you’ve already done in this class, and
- (4) when responding to #2 above, refer to (or even quote) writing from your peer’s letter to you.
- Don’t plagiarize. If you do, then your quarter will most certainly go sour. Way sour.
- Finally, you will be asked to approach the letter through a particular critical “lens.” Be sure to stick to it (to the best of your knowledge). This approach will help you refine your inquiry. (You only have a page, after all.) Together with the question, I will also write this approach on the board. & no worries: we’ll discuss it during class, too.
Please print your paper and submit it at the beginning of class on the day it’s due. Please also include your first response paper in the set (i.e., 1, 4, or 7) as well as the letter your peer wrote to you (i.e., her/his 2, 5, or 8). If you wish, then you can also include a copy of the letter you wrote to your peer (just in case your peer does not submit it in her/his set).
See me with any questions or quibbles you have!